Certicate of Roadworthy
In Victoria a Certificate of Roadworthiness is generally required when a vehicle is sold or if a used vehicle is to be re-registered. This helps minimise the number of poorly maintained vehicles on the road.
In some cases a Certificate of Roadworthiness is also required to clear a Vehicle Defect Notice or a Notice of Unroadworthiness.
Who issues certificates?
Balyang Motors performs roadworthy inspection and upon a successful pass a Certificate of Roadworthiness. These should only be issued by a licensed vehicle tester, operating from a nominated garage or service station.
When can a certificate be issued?
The vehicle must pass a roadworthy inspection, then a certificate is issued.
What is inspected in the roadworthy inspection?
The inspection is a check of the vehicle to ensure that key components have not worn or deteriorated and that the vehicle is safe for normal road use.
A roadworthy inspection mainly covers the major safety related items, including:
- wheels and tyres
- steering, suspension and braking systems
- seats and seat belts
- lamps and reflectors
- windscreen, and windows including front windscreen wipers and washers
- the structure of the vehicle itself
- other safety related items on the body, chassis or engine.
The roadworthiness test is not a check of the mechanical reliability or general condition of the vehicle. If you require a comprehensive check on the overall condition and reliability of the vehicle then you should arrange for a separate independent report such as those offered by the RACV, many Licensed Motor Car Traders (LMCTs) and other workshops.
The certificate does not mean:
- that the vehicle is in top condition without any wear or deterioration
- non-safety related accessories such as the air conditioner, rear window demister, electric windows and rear-window wipers are working
- that the items checked during the roadworthy inspection will continue to function after the inspection eg. a brake light can stop functioning at any time after the inspection.
Please view the roadworthiness requirements [PDF 415KB, 12pp]. This brochure is supplied by Vic Road Victoria.